Your website content is the foundation for every SEO strategy you implement on your website. It is, essentially, the fuel that drives the car. So, how much fuel, or content, do you need to impact your search rankings?
If you search the internet for “what is the best word count for SEO?” or something similar, you will find different answers from multiple resources. According to Search Engine Land, longer content (1,000+ words) tends to help websites show up in search results. Forbes indicates that an average of 600-700 words per page is optimal for SEO. Forbes also states that websites with less than 300 words per page are considered “thin” by Google’s standards and, most likely, won’t rank as highly in search. Figuring out the best content strategy for SEO can be confusing at best. However, identifying the best content strategy for your business and website is easy.
What is the optimal word-count for Google and SEO rankings?
There is not a clear-cut answer for the total word-count per page for best SEO results. Based on our own clients’ SERP rankings over time, we recommend developing website content based on key factors rather than a specific word count because we understand that each client’s brand and customer-base determine the content length rather than a blanket word-count.
The amount of content you write for SEO depends on:
- The Type of Business You Have
- Companies that need to post information about their key services, philosophy, etc., will need to develop content that explains each of those facets.
- Dentists and doctors, for example, should explain as many aspects of a service or procedure as possible, so patients can learn about that procedure and get as many questions answered as possible on a single page.
- A home improvement company, landscape design company or photographer will rely more on the before and after images and beauty shots.
- The Complexity or Simplicity of What You Are Writing About
- Write website content that answers your customers’ questions. Content density is important for SEO. Make sure your content is thorough. Many companies will write content about services that just provide an overview of what they do or provide. We recommend that you write content that explains the process and what makes your company unique in that process while answering common questions customers might ask.
- With the movement towards voice search, we also recommend that you structure the questions as if you are asking them into your phone. For example, instead of writing, “best website content length for SEO,” or “best website word count for SEO,” draft your questions as, “what is the best website word count for SEO?” Essentially, write your questions the way your customers would speak or ask them.
- Quality of the Content
- Regardless of content length, your copy should be written with quality over quantity. Don’t include fluff or filler text just to lengthen the content. Write what you need to convey your services and answer questions.
- Write your own unique website copy. Don’t “borrow” content from other websites, as Google sees this as duplicate content, which will likely impact your page in some way.
A final note about website content length for SEO:
Although we have broken down the key components of your content for SEO, we do recommend a minimum of 300 words per page. However, develop content for each web page on an individual basis. Some of your website pages may have only 300 words and other pages may include 1,300+ words of copy. Take one page at a time and focus on the quality of your content.