Easy tips on writing a blog for your business
Writing blogs for your website is an important part of your SEO and brand-building strategy. However, many of our clients are hesitant to write or post a blog because they don’t know where to start. When surveyed, the majority of our clients said they don’t know how to write a blog, don’t know what topic to write about or don’t know how to post a blog on their websites. We have outlined some easy tips on writing a blog for your dental practice or business.
How to write a blog for SEO and branding
Consistent blogs added to your website benefit your SEO efforts because you are adding fresh, unique content on a regular basis. Blogs provide you with an opportunity to focus on keywords that you want to show up for during search, such as dental implants, landscape design ideas or bathroom renovations, etc. Additionally, blogs help you build your brand identity as an expert in those areas and market directly to your current and prospective patients or clients.
Yes, there is a “best practice” for blog writing, but if you have not ever written a blog before, your first step is to “just get started writing.” Over time, you can improve your process so your blogs are truly SEO-focused and patient-/client-centered.
How often should I blog?
We recommend you post two blogs per month that are longer in format and deeper in subject-matter. This means, ask and answer questions in your blog so that you cover a big part of the topic about which you are writing. If you are just getting started, however, try to write one blog per month, and then build up your inventory.
How long should my blog be?
Take a “quality over quantity” approach when considering blog length. Analytics indicate that longer blogs are more likely to show up during Google search, so try to write content that is 800 – 1,200 words.
What topic do I write about when I blog?
We get this question a lot. A great tip on blog writing is: Think about who you are writing your blog for – your patients or clients and Google.
- Finding the best blog topic for your patients or clients
- Start with the 10 most frequently asked questions you get from your patients or clients. Get your staff involved during a quick morning meeting and ask them to list the questions they get. Or, post a sheet on the refrigerator in the breakroom and ask staff to write down the questions they get.
- Finding the best blog topic for Google
- After you pick the general idea for your topic based on the most frequently asked questions you get, start to search for that topic inside your Google search bar. Google will provide a drop-down list of the most-searched questions about that topic. Make sure your blog content includes the keywords in the drop-down list.
- The best blog layout for readers
- When writing the content, think about the 5 W’s – Who, What, When, Where, Why and How, and answer all of them throughout your blog.
- Then, segment your blog by asking and answering questions as part of your blog format or layout. Also, utilize bolded sub-headlines, underlined text, and bulleted and numbers to direct the reader’s eye to where you want it to go. People are less likely to read long paragraphs in today’s society of immediacy and multi-tasking. So, make sure your layout your blog by accentuating the highlights.
How do I post my blog?
Depending on how your blog is set up inside your website, you most likely will simply need to login to your site and post your blog using the steps provided for you. For many of our clients, we build WordPress websites that have blog platforms included inside the site. We also use a Yoast plugin to help with blog and website content optimization.
Our best tip on blog writing is: Just write!